Ebla
Official Site of the Italian Archaeological Mission in Syria

Immagine
Abarsal Treaty

The name of Ebla entered the history of oriental archaeology when, in 1975, 11 years after the beginning of the excavations on the site until then known only by the modern name of Tell Mardikh, the State Archives of 2300 BC were brought to light by Paolo Matthiae and his team, with thousands of cuneiform tablets, complete and fragmentary, whose discovery astonished the international scientific world, and strongly struck the public opinion worldwide.

The study of the archaeological and epigraphic evidence revealed a great urban centre, which, in the first phase of its development, between 2500 and 2300 BC, was in touch with great towns of Sumer, like Kish and Ur, on the one hand, and with Pharaonic Egypt on the other hand. Monumental evidence, artistic objects, material evidence mark, along one millennium, the historical path of a very old urban centre, three times destroyed, and twice rebuilt, between ca. 2500 BC and the years around 1600 BC.

Immagine
Aerial Photograph of the Tell
   
 
 
 
Immagine
The State Archives
Immagine
Early-Syrian Ebla
Immagine
Old-Syrian Ebla
Immagine
The Archaeological Park
The State Archives Early-Syrian Ebla Old-Syrian Ebla The Archaeological Park
 
 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
Immagine
Immagine
 
 
 
 
 
  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!

| Copyright © Ebla - 2010 |
| Privacy | Copyright |